Tuesday, February 01, 2005

:: Bleah ::




Yup, that’s 3:45 in the morning. I’ve been in the office for 12 straight hours now, and I don’t know what time we’re going to finish doing the layout for the next issue of the tech magazine I’m in charge of.

This is the first issue that I’m supervising directly, and it hasn’t gone as smoothly as I hoped. I want to strangle the little ***** who has caused most of the delay, but I don’t have the energy to do so. I knew he was very busy, so I let him set his own deadline, which was about a week later than the rest of the writing crew. And he missed it. Two days after the deadline passed, I asked if he could still do it, and he said yes. A day after the second deadline passed, I told him that we were not running his articles, but he texted to say that he already had them and would send them via e-mail that night. Of course, they didn’t come. I hastily put together a team to write the articles overnight. We were about a third of the way through the task when he showed up in the office and said he had started the articles and would finish them that night in the office. We took him at his word and stayed until 3:30 am working on other stuff and killing time. I went home, took a shower, and waited, and waited, and waited...

The next day I go to the office, my mind set on wrapping up all loose ends the same day. He texts my editorial assistant saying that he was coming in to submit everything. I get to the office a few hours after he does, only to discover that had finished only the shortest of the three articles he promised to submit almost a week before.

And here we are, twelve hours later. He has written less than a third of the last, and longest, article assigned to him, and three other writers and I have spent the last two hours taking up the slack by writing the other parts of the article ourselves.

Four days ago I was introduced to new staff members as the editor “who never gets mad.” That’s true for the most part. There are times, like this particular one, when I feel I have all the reason to get mad. All the time wasted, all the effort expended adjusting work schedules and appointments to cope with his constantly moving deadline. But I won’t, because he’s not worth expending any more of my energy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home